RNs - Papua New Guinea
Post-Courier, November 14, 2006 Services at the Modilon Hospital in Madang were disrupted yesterday following a sit-in protest staged by more than 100 nurses. The nurses held a meeting at the hospital’s Haus Morata as early as 7.45 AM in the hope of meeting with chief executive officer Dr Jethro Usurup to resolve the outstanding issues relating to their entitlements, but the planned meeting did not eventuate. ... Madang
ABC Radio Australia, July 31, 2006
Nurses in Papua New Guinea are in fear of being infected with HIV-AIDS because of the lack of adequate safety and health provisions. A report in the Post Courier newspaper says health workers are under enormous psychological and physical stress due to inadequate staff levels, long hours and threats against female nurses. Association President Lawrence Namaro says nurses need clear policy guidelines to protect them. He says he's pleased the Health Department already has a draft document in place but it needs to be approved and implemented as soon as possible.
© 2006 Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Arbitration tribunal to reveal outcome later. The National, July 3, 2006
The tribunal hearing into the nurses’ grievances ended last Thursday with the PNG Nurses Association handing in the right of reply to the Government’s submission.
The chairman of the Arbitration Tribunal Pex Avosa said the members of the tribunal would consider the submissions and would announce the outcome of the tribunal hearing later in the year.
Mr Avosa said it would take some time before tribunal members decided on the outcome because there were about 30 claims that they had to go through. ... Hearing
Agnes Peter, The National, June 2, 2006
The national government yesterday called on the arbitration tribunal to reject the PNG Nurses’ Association’s claims for improved working conditions on grounds that they have not justified their claims.
These conditions include salary increases, retrenchment package and workplace insurance. ... Nurses
Mathew Yakai, The National, March 29, 2006
The State is facing a claim of more than K7 million pursued by the PNG Nurses Association over its alleged failure to comply with the Nurses Agreement 2000.
PNGNA president Lawrence Namaro revealed that the association has engaged Lomai & Lomai law firm to claim K7,232,101.40 due to loss of salary and Nurses
Service allowance to individual members since 2000.
The association has named Health Secretary Dr Nicholas Mann, the Secretary of the Department of Personnel Management Margaret Elias and State as defendants in the suit. ... Nurses
Radio New Zealand, March 23, 2006
Papua New Guinea's Nurses Association says its more than five thousand members are seeking industrial action over pay and working conditions.
The Association's Lawrence Namaro says members are frustrated with the lack of response from the government, and have delivered a letter to the industrial registrar to seek approval for a secret ballot among members.
The government has been under pressure after the Treasury revealed that the Department of Health underspent its budget by almost 30 per cent last year. ... PNG
Post-Courier, February 13, 2006
The nurses’ union is to take legal action against Health authorities who had disciplined nurses for participating in the recent nation-wide strike. PNG Nurses Association president Lawrence Namaro said court proceedings would begin at the National Court this Wednesday. Deputy Health Secretary Dr Isaac Ake and Modilon Hospital chief executive officer Dr Jethro Usurup are being charged for contempt of court for taking disciplinary action against nurses at Madang’s Modilon Hospital. ... Nurses
The National, February 7, 2006
Investigations on the validity of the nurses’ strike at Boram hospital in Wewak, East Sepik province, has been completed.
The hospital’s acting chief executive officer Dr Lawrence Waringi, yesterday confirmed that the investigations were completed.
He told The National yesterday that the outcome of the findings would be presented to the deputy health secretary Dr Isaac Ake this week.
“The outcome of the investigation will be revealed by Wednesday,” said Dr Waringi. ... Probe
Phillinda Silkeno, The National, February 3, 2006
An investigating team is in Wewak to investigate and establish the reasons behind the strike by nurses at the Boram General Hospital.
The hospital’s acting chief executive officer Dr Lawrence Waringi said the two investigators, Dr Kai Dagam and Mr John Levi, would be assisted in every way possible.
Dr Waringi said they would seek information on the allegations raised by the nurses and the nurses association in the province and also find out if the nurses strike actions were valid. ... Team
Anton Huafolo, The National, January 24, 2006
Wewak nurses have gone on an indefinite strike after their calls for an investigation into the selection of senior Boram Hospital management late last year were not addressed.
The nurses began their strike action at 4:06 PM last Friday, and would continue to go on strike “until Health Minister Melchior Pep and acting Health Secretary Dr Isacc Ake come to Wewak and address us, suspend the hospital management and board and conduct an investigation into the issues we raised with them”, Moses Kapus, a representative of the East Sepik Nurses Association, said when contacted by phone last night. ... Wewak Boram
Agnes Peter, The National, January 10, 2006
The acting Chief Executive Officer of the Port Moresby General Hospital has urged striking nurses that had not returned to work to resume duties immediately.
Dr Simon Mete said yesterday that 87 nurses had yet to resume duties after going on strike and had warned that they would be put off the payroll if they continued to stay away.
“I am urging these nurses to return to work and let the Government and the courts settle their grievances.
“I have faxed the list of these nurses to the association president last Friday and I am still waiting for his response,” he said. ... Nurses
They will be dealt with for contempt of court: POMGH chief.
The National, January 5, 2006
The Port Moresby General Hospital nurses who defied a National Court order for them to return to work will be dealt with for contempt of court, acting POMGH chief executive officer Dr Simon Mete said yesterday.
He said the nurses numbered less than 100.
“These nurses have defied the court order and will be dealt with by the police for contempt of court,” Dr Mete said. ... Striking
Agnes Peter, The National, January 4, 2006
Nurses at the Port Moresby General Hospital returned to work yesterday in compliance with a court order obtained by the Government last week.
The court order was served on the PNG Nurses Association president Mr Lawrence Namaro by the Acting Health Secretary Dr Isaac Ake on New Year’s Day for the nurses to resume duties today.
On Monday, Mr Namaro urged nurses to return to work. Many resumed yesterday morning, while others did so yesterday afternoon.
Mr Namoro said nurses should return to work pending the hearing of their case by the National Court tomorrow. ... Court
ABC Radio Australia, January 3, 2006
More than 1,000 nurses in Papua New Guinea have returned to work following a two-week strike over pay and conditions.
The PNG Nurses Association began their action after the government failed to meet their demands for increased risk and housing allowances.
Association president Lawrence Namaro says the strike was only called off following a court order.
He says nurses are still not satisfied with the outcome. ... PNG
The National/PNS, January 3, 2006
Papua New Guinea’s acting Prime Minister Sir Moi Avei has called on striking nurses nationwide to return to work immediately.
Sir Moi said a court order, obtained by Acting Health Secretary Dr Isaac Ake, was served on the nurses’ union president Lawrence Namaro last Sunday (01 Jan). ... Acting